ShareThis

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Top 10 high-speed, slow-mo cameras


So I have just recently been introduced to "The Slow Mo Guys" on YouTube.



And now, of course, I want a high-speed, slow-motion camera. And so, of course, I started doing some research.

But surprisingly, there wasn't a whole lot of information about this on the web. I Googled for days with minimal results. I asked Siri and to noone's surprise she hadn't a clue. I found a forum on Vimeo, another on CNET, and handful of individual camera reviews. Then finally, nearly two weeks later, I came to the following conclusion:

You don't need a Phantom v1610 high-speed camera capable of 1,000,000fps to capture and create great slow-motion video.

All you really need is a camera capable of 60fps to 120fps and after-effects software like Twixtor to "speed up, slow down or frame rate convert your image sequences with visually stunning results."

Though it would awesome to own one of these first two, extremely-expensive, thousands-of-dollars-just-to-rent, high-speed cameras -- the last 7 in this top 10 list are much more affordable consumer cameras perfectly capable of producing slow-motion videos:
  1. Phantom v1610
  2. Red One
  3. Canon EOS 5D Mark ii/iii
  4. GoPro Hero3
  5. Casio EX-FH100
  6. JVC GCPX10US
  7. Panasonic AG-AC160
  8. Sony NEX5/7
  9. Casio EX-ZR300WE
  10. Sony HDR-HC9
Did I miss any? If so, let me know in the comments below.


Update: Instead of spending thousands of dollars on one do-it-all camera like the Canon EOS 5D Mark 3, I decided to buy the Sony NEX 5-R and the new GoPro Hero3 Black Edition. Between the two they can do just about everything I want from a camera, including: portraits, action shots, landscapes, night sky, underwater, and, of course, slow-motion video.

No comments: